What You Should Know About the Energy Performance Certificate

An Energy Performance Certificate is typically presented in the form of a colour-coded property ranking report ranging from one to one hundred.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is divided into two sections: energy efficiency and environmental impact (CO2).

This is required by law for all buildings, whether rented or sold/newly constructed. As a result, if you are renting a property, you should inquire as to whether it has an EPC.

EPCs must be performed by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor, who will examine factors such as the wall, floor, and roof insulation, boiler efficiency, and even the type of light bulb used in your home.

They are usually valid for ten years and can be used by landlords for multiple tenancies if the property has an E or higher rating.

The scale runs from dark green A (92-100) to red G (1-20), with A being the most energy efficient with the lowest operating costs and G being the least energy efficient with the highest operating costs.

Energy Performance Certificate

The scale runs from A (92-100) to G (1-20), with A representing the most environmentally friendly with lower CO2 emissions and G representing the least environmentally friendly with higher CO2 emissions.

The information in an EPC is primarily aimed at making homes more environmentally friendly, but it also includes the following:

  • Fuel prices
  • Emissions of carbon dioxide
  • The estimated energy consumption of your property
  • Information about the person who performed the assessment
  • Who to contact if you have a complaint

You can use all of the information in your EPC to calculate the impact of your energy-saving decisions whenever you have your home assessed again.

Energy Performance Certificate

Here are some energy-saving tips to help you improve your EPC rating here.

If, after receiving your EPC, you need to save money on your energy bills by comparing prices, you can get started for free right here.

This blog post is not intended to constitute legal and/or financial advice.